Followers

Saturday, January 2, 2010

New Start

Well, I broke down and started another, small, project. Quaker Medallion that I picked up while in Virginia in October. I don't really care for the feel of the fabric, but I will muttle through to the finish. It is a brown colored 28ct linen, but it is a rough feeling linen. I do like the design, however, so I may stitch another one later in the year on a different fabric. Here is a pic of what I completed last night:


In other areas of stitchdom, I have a random question about ornaments and finishing. What is your preferred method of finishing?

I am new to ornies and would like to make the best possible ornaments I can. I have read where some are finished using a strong matte board or foam board to keep them firm. I have also read where some are like mini-pillows with a filling inside.

What I want is to make an ornament that will last for a long time. I plan to start stitching a few ornaments each year for each of my nieces and nephews, my mom, my sister, and my step-mom (to start). There are 8 nieces and nephews in total and with the other 3 included I will have to make 11 or 12 each year! When looking at other stitchy bloggers, it's really not a lot.

5 comments:

Yoyo said...

Isn't it always fun when you start something new!!

As for your question: both finishes have their pros and cons and it will really depend on your own preference. Try at least one of each. For me, I'm lazy. I stitch my sides together (not forgetting the hanger which must go between) and stuff as a pillow about 99% of the time. As for durability, I began making DD and DS an ornament every year when they were babies and even the year 1 is still hanging on our trees and looking great. Durability is more in the how you take care of it phase than in the how you finish it phase.

mollycaff said...

I'm new to ornies too, and have tried both methods recently. I much prefer the pillow style method, far easier and quicker to get finished. The best advice I can give is to try a few different methods and then make a decision as we're all different (I don't have much patience when it comes to finishing so probably take the easy route)

Siobhan said...

Love the new start!

Good luck on the ornament quest. I plan to do better this year with mine, too. Here's to full trees and gaily finished ornaments in 2010! :)

stitcherw said...

Fun start. I have some blue linen like that, good color but it is a rough feel. I save it for smaller projects as I don't really like working on it even though it does look nice. Can't help on the area of finishing, as I haven't made any ornaments. It will be interesting reading what others comment.
Sue

Julie said...

Thanks for all of the suggestions so far. I was leaning toward trying both and deciding.